Saturday, February 5, 2011

Our Precious Lives

"Every day, think as you wake up, today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others; to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings. I am going to have kind thoughts towards others, I am not going to get angry or think badly about others. I am going to benefit others as much as I can."
— Dalai Lama XIV

How often do you wake up and hit the shower without consciously thinking about what you are doing, or what is going to be happening in your day, other than perhaps the tasks you face?

Our lives are precious gifts, not to be wasted.  Time slips through our fingers so quickly.  We spend time at our 8 to 5 jobs and simultaneously raise our children from infancy to late teens.  The entire process seemingly occurs in the blink of an eye, when we look back on it.  Yet it is the process itself that matters most.  

We work towards goals of retirement or much anticipated vacations, all the while missing valuable daily opportunities to reach out to others.  We miss chances to influence the lives of others for the benefit of all. This can be done in very simple ways.  It can be a compliment about someone's smile.  It can be as simple as connecting with someone you come into contact with that is carrying a book you have been thinking about reading.

Make it your goal to smile at everyone you see, even if you don't feel it inside.  Before you know it, you will feel it.  Inspire others with your kindness.  

Try out the ideas in the quote from the Dalai Lama above for just seven days and see how it affects you, who it brings into your circle.  I challenge you to try it for 40 days and see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment